Who doesn’t want to get to know the coolest horse on the earth a little bit better? Here are 35 facts you might not know about Batman from before.
1. He is a right brain introvert, and was very hard for me to understand at first. If he ever becomes uncomfortable, he’ll disappear into his shell and stay there.
2. He is my first own horse and I got him when I was 15 and he was 5.
3. He is extremely care-taking and protective and knows very well if I’m not feeling well.
4. He becomes very hyper when it is raining or snowing. Passage all the way home! Therefore, I teach tricks such as rearing, harder canter exercises or are working with collection when it is raining, haha.
5. He needs lots and lots of praise, it can never be enough. He need a confirmation when he does something correct and feel much more confident and proud with praise.
6. He is the leader in the herd, and a very fair one.
7. He was born in Friesland, the Netherlands and his mother is a gorgeous named Frieda Wij. His father is Rintse 386.
8. He is high alert and always paying attention to the environment!
9. If he sees something spooky, he will freeze. I can cover his eyes, play with his ears and everything but he will not move a muscle! Like a living statue; quite creepy sometimes.
10. Canter used to be his weakest gait, but is now his strongest. His collected canter has become brilliant after I started liberty training.
11. He is heavy built for a Friesian with a longer back and lots of “push” in his movements, but he love showing off and always move with good collection and pride when we are playing.
12. He loves to pull his carriage, and is at his proudest when we are driving.
13. He is actually not very brave, but together we mostly manage. “Canter? Here? But, Matilde, it might be a dinosaur around the next turn!”
14. His movements are huge, I got seasick the first time I rode him. He is like riding a big boat!
15. He has never been shod, barefoot all his life, and I prefer it that way.
16. He is a very good trail horse and can easily trot through very rough terrain. He is very steady footed.
17. He loves dogs! When Batman see a dog, he will walk straight towards the dog and say hello.
18. After 6 years on turnout 24/7, he has grown to hate being in a box or paddock. I tried to have him stalled for a month once because he had stomach problems, but he literally became crazy. We had to put him back in his heard again. Sorry for that, Batman.. He can spend a weekend in a box, but not longer than that.
19. He attach very much to his closest humans and horses.
20. He is very kind and patient, and can be ridden by everybody, as long as I am near.
21. He is well educated and can be ridden with very small cues trough the seat. He is extremely sensitive, and will go from canter to halt in a second if you change your position by accident.
22. He prefers to be trained or ridden without bridles or halters.
23. His mane is over 1 meter long (and still growing rapidly), so I must have it braided. It is impossible to ride him without braids, as the mane flows into my face and fastens under the saddle and my legs.
24. He is a purebred KFPS Friesian.
25. He is 170 cm tall and weighs almost 700 kg.
26. If he became very stressed or scared, he is hard to handle because you have to calm him down and keep him in place at the same time. That’s a challenge with a highly sensitive horse on the size of an elephant!
27. He enjoys jumping, and becomes very eager towards the fence. His technique is pretty good as well.
28. He hate snaffle bits, if I use a bit on him, I prefer a curb bit. He can’t handle the feeling of the bit moving back in the mouth from pressure of the reins on the tongue and bars. He is soooo much more relaxed on a curb with looser reins.
29. He can simply not be trained with violence. If he feel insecure, he will run, no matter how many men holding the rope.
30. He had a career as an actor! He was the king’s horse in an outdoor theatre. It was a challenge because we had very short time to prepare the horses, but in the end, I’m really proud of his performance! He carried the Norwegian actor Hermann Sabado trough the battlefield, with people lying on the ground, and Batman had to walk carefully trough the smoke with 300 people, including the Crown Prince of Norway watching him!
31. He can be bored on hacks at home, and prefer when we travel to other places to ride there instead.
32. We have won many ribbons together, and competed in dressage, jumping, shows and endurance.
33. You must earn Batman’s attention, if you don’t, he simply won’t care about you.
34. His personality is sweet, loving, funny, calm, but sensitive, patient, proud and careful.
35. His name on the papers is Nimo Bo.